Wednesday 1 April 2015

Sabana Grande: My Home l Diego (Daniel)

This is long, but it has a message for people who are thinking about being a part of this program in the future.
                So, I am going to write about Sabana Grande, which is our second base. Yes, I know other people wrote about Sabana Grande already, but I am still going to write about Sabana. Why? Cause I love it! More than anyone else. However, this is not a blog post about construction that we only did for three days because it's boring and at least three other people already wrote about it. The two main themes of this blog post are the family and how basketball helped me to interact and to make friends. By the way, we were in Sabana for only six days which is really short but we are going back for about two weeks. This is before that two weeks but I decided to write it now.
             Allow me to explain now. In Sabana, we stay with a family who is living in the missionary base. There is the parents, Pierre and Alaina, two sons, Salomon and Juan, four daughters, Rogelia, Evelin, Lisa who is a four year old girl, and the four months old baby, Elizauris. Other than the two youngest girls, they are twenty to fourteen years old, pretty much they are our age. At first, I was no different than others. At the very first day in Sabana, I did not talk to any of them. However, I could find the connection with them really easily. It was basketball. I thought it was amazing how sports bond people together even if we cannot communicate each others. Their two sons and I became friends right away especially with the older one name, Salomon. He is an eighteen years old guy who started driving his truck when he was twelve, and he drives motorcycles to. In the Dominican Republic, a lot of people drive motorcycles, especially when they are young.
At siesta, I asked Rachael about going with Solomon to buy a basketball. On the way, people just stared at me or hissed at me because I am an asian. If you are asian and you been here, you would know my feeling, it just sucks. They don't used to see asian people so they find it interesting to see Asians and they call me Chino which means Chinese. I am not feeling upset just because they call me Chinese. What Chinese means for them is Asian, it is different than calling Canadians Americanos. Just think about it, you are on street, random people call you Asian and stare at you. Most of you wouldn't understand since most of us are dutch but it sucks.
                When Solomon and I  got to the store, we found a basketball. The thing was, the woman at the shop and Solomon talked in Spanish and the price got more expensive and Solomon told me to just buy, I was confused but it is just way it works in the DR. They deal price and never show how much money you got. It is okay unless it is my money. After we got back, everyone was jealous that I got to spend time with Solomon. I felt bad but I made my bestfriend so everything is good.
          Since we were not there for a long time, there was not enough time to make memories with all the family members. However, the last night in Sabana was the best night I ever had in DR. In the kitchen, Brian and the ladies were talking like forever. Solomon and I were talking about the group of last year. At one point, I decided to go into the kitchen, and they were really interested in me. They were really interested on learning Korean and I taught them and Brian some Korean. At that point, I did not know who was their mother so I pointed at a lady to Solomon, asking  if she was his mom. People started laughing out loud. Apparently, I asked if his sister, who is only two years older than him, if she was his mom. His older sister's name is Rogelia. She was confused and told me that she is his sister but I kept bugging her calling her his mom. She hated me so bad but now she loves me so it is okay. After that night, I became like one of their family. I call their mom, mama, and we feel comfortable together. I can just feel the love coming from them.
           In Sabana, I made friends other than the family. It was basically the same pattern how I always made friends here. We have a basketball court right at the base ; we made a backboard this year, me and Derek. People would just come and hang out or play basketball with our ball. I usually play with them, and not a lot of the guys play basketball except for me. I made some friends mainly two guys name Diegre and Momo. They are not their real names but they just told me that its their name because I do not understand their name. Diegre means Pineapple and momo, I do not know what it means. They always laugh at me, just think about how I call someone pineapple. Since we played ball together, I see him in our base sometimes, I guess that's because they go to the school right beside and they are kind of friends with the family. I would hang out with them sometimes and play basketball. It is just so great that there is no barrier between sports; basketball. We have different experience of life, different culture, they are not used to see Asians often, and we speak different languages and we are not good at the each other's languages. It would be hard to talk to them randomly but because of basketball it's not even akward and since we are friends I can talk to them. Here is the thing, everytime I made friends, it started with basketball unless I teach them. If you are coming or thinking about coming here next year or in the future, I highly recomand you to play basketball-learn how to play basketball. It is so worth playing basketball, plus it will help you interacting people here so much. The most important thing that you cannot forget is you need to have your funny reactions. You break the ice right away. When they get blocked or ankle breaker, I just start bashing at them and we would all laugh. You would get to play basketball more than baseball or soccer, trust me.

For the people who are thinking about to be part of this program,  do not be afraid to do things and do not be afraid to talk to people here and PLAY BASKETBALL it is so worth! TALK TO THE FAMILY IN SABANA! 

No comments:

Post a Comment